Divorce & Family LawAt Berman & Asbel, LLP we provide top quality representation in the highly specialized practice of Divorce, Custody and all other aspects of Family Law.
The resolution you reach, whether by the Court or Agreement, with respect to your divorce, child custody, re-location of your children, property distribution, financial support arrangements and other issues you are facing, will impact your life well into the future. We can help guide you through these and all family law issues:
We place the highest priority on protecting your child’s best interests and the rights of you, our client. We make sure you receive fair treatment when going through the child support and custody processes.
Exceptional, Personalized Divorce Representation
Our Divorce Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Services
Our firm has had years of experience handling Pennsylvania family law and divorce cases. We have guided thousands of individuals and families through difficult times to successful outcomes. Some of the divorce-related matters where we can help include:
- Divorce litigation
- Child custody and visitation
- Child support
- Spousal support/alimony
- Marital property distribution, equitable distribution of assets
Our experience related to marital property distribution extends to both high net worth divorces and divorces involving complex property division.
Alternative dispute resolution options are available and may be a good option for you. Included in this option are mediation and arbitration. Using these alternatives to litigation is typically less costly and more efficient methods of deciding important issues such as distribution of assets, alimony, child custody, visitation and other matters.
Factors in Determining Child Support
Courts take the following factors into account when determining child support payments:
- Each parent’s income and income capacity
- The amount of money each parent spends on child care
- How many children you claim as dependents on your taxes
- Health insurance and other medical expenses for your children
- The amount of custodial time with each parent
- Whether or not private schooling is reasonable and allocation of that expense
We will advocate for you to receive the child support payments appropriate within the state guidelines. There may be opportunities to apply deductions that will modify the amount of money you pay or receive.
Modifying Payments When Circumstances Change
If a parent’s financial situation has changed substantially, you may qualify to seek a modification. This can happen when a parent receives a substantial raise or inheritance or loses a job. Our lawyers can help you examine your options and determine the best way to proceed..
Custody & Visitation
Divorcing couples with children often find that negotiating custody and visitation can be stressful and elicit strong emotions. It is essential to enlist the help of a lawyer who understands these delicate issues and knows the Pennsylvania standards for determining the best interests of the child.
Relocations and Move-Aways
Same-Sex Divorce and Family Law Services
Following a federal court decision in 2014, same-sex marriage became legal in Pennsylvania, which means gay and lesbian couples now enjoy the same rights heterosexual couples have enjoyed for generations. The lawyers at our firm are up-to-date on this family law evolution and are able to provide personalized service to all LGBT couples throughout Pennsylvania. Our services include:
Drafting prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- Divorce resolution
- Custody and visitation resolution
- Second-parent adoption
- Assisted reproduction
Services for Unmarried Same-Sex Couples
We also offer services tailored to helping unmarried, same-sex couples obtain rights related to:
- Property: We advise same-sex couples on matters related to establishing joint ownership of real estate, bank accounts and other assets. We assist couples in drafting cohabitation agreements that set forth rights and procedures as a protection if the relationship ends. Further, we negotiate property separation agreements if needed.
- Estate planning: Thorough and complete estate planning, using wills and trusts, enables same-sex partners to obtain inheritance rights that would otherwise not be available to unmarried partners. We ensure compliance with Pennsylvania law so your will stands up if there are challenges brought by family members who are not accepting of the relationship.
- Building a family: For many people, a pivotal aspect of a committed relationship involves starting a family. There are opportunities that enable gay and lesbian partners to build their families. Our attorneys assist same-sex couples in achieving that goal. We handle the legal aspects of assisted reproduction, including drafting detailed surrogacy agreements and other documents. We also advise and assist clients with adoptions by gay couples and with second-parent adoptions.
More LGBT info at:
Second Parent Adoption Services for Same-sex Couples