At Berman & Asbel, LLP we proudly represent all individuals regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Our lawyers will assist LGBT+ couples with matters related to family law and estate planning as well as help anyone who has suffered civil rights violations, such as discrimination in education, housing, and in certain limited circumstances, employment.
Same-Sex Divorce and Family Law Services
Following a federal court decision in 2014, same-sex marriage became legal in Pennsylvania, which means gay and lesbian couples now enjoy the same rights heterosexual couples have enjoyed for generations. The lawyers at our firm are up-to-date on this family law evolution and are able to provide personalized service to all LGBT couples throughout Pennsylvania. Our services include:
- Drafting prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- Divorce resolution
- Custody and visitation resolution
- Second-parent adoption
- Assisted reproduction
Services for Unmarried Same-Sex Couples
We also offer services tailored to helping unmarried, same-sex couples obtain rights related to:
- Property: We advise same-sex couples on matters related to establishing joint ownership of real estate, bank accounts and other assets. We assist couples in drafting cohabitation agreements that set forth rights and procedures as a protection if the relationship ends. Further, we negotiate property separation agreements if needed.
- Estate planning: Thorough and complete estate planning, using wills and trusts, enables same-sex partners to obtain inheritance rights that would otherwise not be available to unmarried partners. We ensure compliance with Pennsylvania law so your will stands up if there are challenges brought by family members who are not accepting of the relationship.
- Building a family: For many people, a pivotal aspect of a committed relationship involves starting a family. There are opportunities that enable gay and lesbian partners to build their families. Our attorneys assist same-sex couples in achieving that goal. We handle the legal aspects of assisted reproduction, including drafting detailed surrogacy agreements and other documents. We also advise and assist clients with adoptions by gay couples and with second-parent adoptions.