Moving children out of state or a considerable distance away from either parent is a decision that can significantly impact your child or children. It is critical that a move-away or relocation decision be made with the best interests of the child or children in mind and in consideration of the other parent so a good relationship between both parents and the children can be maintained. It is also critical that the Pennsylvania relocation statute (law) be complied with before the move.


We Are Here to Help You Get the Results You Need

At Berman & Associates we help parents reach a resolution to relocation issues by negotiating agreements between the parties or seeking court approval of the move or seeking rejection of the relocation regarding their children.

In some cases, it may be possible to negotiate an agreement with the other parent by addressing modifications to the visitation schedule. However, if agreement is not possible, filing a petition with the family court may be a good alternative solution.

Requirements for Approval

To obtain approval for a move out of state, it is necessary to convince the court that the relocation serves the child’s best interests.

If approval is not obtained prior to moving with the child, and the other parent objects, the moving parent may be required to bring the child back into the state until an agreement is reached or the court renders a decision. It is important to know that moving before approval is received could be in violation of an existing custody order, which could be held against you as the court renders its decision.

Our attorneys at Berman & Associates are available to listen and guide you through the legal processes. Contact us online today or call 610-565-9696 for immediate, honest advice on how you should proceed.